How to Create Your 2021 Digital Marketing Plan
2020 threw us a lot of curveballs when it came to content marketing. If you had a digital marketing plan, it may have gone out the window with everything that happened:
- A worldwide pandemic
- Tiger King
- Murder Hornets
- Civil unrest and social justice
- Unprecedented fires
- 2.25% mortgage rates
- And a shit-show of an election
Did we miss anything…? While we have no clue how this year is going to shape up, it’s still a good idea to create a 2021 digital marketing plan. You may need to change some things as the year goes on, but it’s always better to start with something and tweak if you need to.
Creating Your 2021 Digital Marketing Plan
Here are a couple of things to consider when it comes to planning your content marketing this year:
- Be nimble, pay attention, and adapt. An uninformed marketer can do a lot of damage to a business and its reputation. Words, timing, and messaging matter.
- Push the envelope: get creative and break the rules with your content because let’s be honest, there are no rules.
- Video, video, video. And more live video.
- Organic content: raw, unedited, at home, real.
- Diversify exposure across all platforms.
You cannot go wrong investing your time and money into authentic content now or in the future.
We’ll keep this short and sweet because we’ve been saying it for the last three years. You’ve got to pay to play on social media and digital advertising platforms. It really is that simple.
If you want to grow your audience, generate leads, and increase your brand exposure, you MUST factor in paid advertising in 2021.
Text and Email Marketing
Doesn’t email marketing feel a little overplayed and exhausting? Well, if you’re still using Mailchimp’s free version, you’re probably frustrated as all get out with what’s happening to your open rate. 2021 is the year to update your Email Service Provider (ESP) and CRM.
Savvy consumers need savvy marketing, and if your ESP isn’t getting past junk mail filters, chances are that your emails aren’t getting read.
Plus, there are some killer CRMs out there with robust features that can help you not only connect with your customers on email but also through:
- Text campaigns
- Robust forms
- Automated funnels
- Advanced workflows integrated into your website
And all of these support your paid advertising efforts and campaigns.
You know the saying “there’s no time like the present,” and that goes for updating the systems and software you use to conduct business.
Need help picking out a CRM that is a good fit for your business? Send us a message to connect; we’d love to share our recommendations.
If you’re not blogging, what are you waiting for? Blogging is one of the best ways to showcase your expertise, get people to your website, and engage with people on topics that actually matter to them.
Here’s what you should do to get the most mileage out of your blogs with an SEO strategy—after spending all that time writing, you want to make sure people actually read them!
- Create a list of keywords you can build topics around (use Google’s Keyword Planner (free) or Ahrefs or SEMrush (paid).
- Type that keyword into Google’s first page and see what kinds of articles are already working for a specific keyword. Then, decide how you can improve upon what already exists.
- Figure out a “hook” that will get people’s attention and encourage them to link back to your article on their own websites.
- Optimize for on-page SEO, including internal linking and semantic SEO.
How do you know what to do more of if you don’t know if what you’re currently doing is working? Confusing statement, right? But it’s true, and oftentimes, when our clients enlist the support of our services, this is one thing they are not doing.
“I am doing all these things, but I don’t feel like anything is getting me results.” The problem with this statement is the word “feel”. One thing we love about digital marketing is that it is SOOOO easy to track, and by tracking, you will KNOW what’s working and what’s not.
So instead of throwing a bunch of noodles at a wall and hoping they stick, invest your time (or hire us to do it 😉) in the numbers this year and things will start to feel a little bit, or a lot, different.
If you need help putting together your analytics or tracking or are looking for a team to manage your digital marketing plan, visit our calendar to schedule a complimentary consultation with our team today!