TikTok Marketing Strategy: A Beginner’s Guide
TikTok has taken the world by storm. If you don’t know what TikTok is, this blog will help you. If you DO know what TikTok is, this blog will also help you, so keep reading. Ready to create a winning TikTok marketing strategy? We’ve got you covered.
Maybe you’re like us and you resisted for as long as you could . . . only to find out that it’s actually an awesome (FREE) tool for you to use for your business.
Warning: You may become addicted once you join.
Why We Love TikTok
Are you over the algorithm issues on Facebook and Instagram? Us too. We’ve been saying it for a while, but it’s time to diversify your digital marketing efforts, and adding a TikTok marketing strategy to your business marketing plan for 2 0 2 1 might be the most strategic move you make all year.
But why…? “I don’t want to TikTok…”
When you understand the demographics and the usership on the platform, busting a move in a quick 15-second video seems like a NO-BRAINER.
There are a ton of stats out there, but if you’re a business owner, these are the ones you should be paying attention to.
Demographics of TikTok
- Over 689 million monthly active users, not including China (DateReportal 2021)
- 100 million TikTok users in the U.S. (BusinessofApps 2021)
- The app has over 2 billion downloads worldwide (SensorTower 2020)
- 60% of users are between the ages of 31–46+ (BusinesssofApps 2021)
- The average user spends 52 minutes a day on the app (BusinessofApps 2019)
- U.S. users opened TikTok an average of eight times a day in 2018, with sessions averaging just under 5 minutes (TikTok via DigiDay)
Is TikTok the Right Platform for My Business?
Before you invest your time in taking on a new platform, we always recommend that you do your research. So, how do you know if your audience is on TikTok?
Here’s the easiest way to find out. Open up the TikTok app and think of the topics and hashtags that your ideal clients search and use.
Here’s an example: one of our ideal audiences is mortgage brokers and lenders, so we’ve searched topics and hashtags like mortgage, mortgage lender, and homebuyer tips to see how many people are using this hashtag.
Under the hashtag mortgage, it shows 359.7 million views. Mortgage lender has 12.3 million views, and mortgage broker has 11.3 million views. From this info, we can make a decision about whether or not this platform is right for us.
Why Does TikTok Work So Well?
Because you don’t have to have an existing following on TikTok to get views on your content. Having an audience is great, but the viewership lies in the hashtags that help people search to find and view your content.
You may only have 2 followers, but you can get 617 views on your first video! What would you rather have…? We’ll take the views!
The other thing we love about TikTok is that it’s not oversaturated, and there is NO LIMIT to how long your content can be seen. Unlike other platforms where once your engagement dies and your post dies with it, you can reap the rewards of your TikTok content for months on end.
How Can I Use a TikTok Marketing Strategy to Build My Brand?
When you start out on any new platforms, it’s better to keep things simple and engaging. That said, it’s also great to have a plan of action and a focus for what you hope to accomplish on the platform because otherwise, we end up wasting time and get no results. And nobody has time for that.
So today we’re sharing our content launch strategy for TikTok:
- Entertainment: mommy and business owner humor, showcasing the authentic personalities of the people BTS of our business (our most successful content)
- Education: audience-specific digital marketing tips delivered in a short, fun, playful video.
- Call-to-action content: driving people to a call to action—visit our website, read our blog, download our freebie.
It really is that simple. It’s nothing earth-shattering, but it works. Now, we are sure you’re wondering…
How Do I Increase Exposure and Get More Leads Using TikTok?
Now, this is the million-dollar question, right? Here are some strategies we use.
- Use lead magnets, freebies, training, and podcasts to get people onto your email list. Hint, use your LinkTree for your URL to take advantage of all of your lead generators.
- Drive traffic to your website and other social media channels. This will help your growth on other platforms when growth feels next to impossible.
- Go deeper with your audience and livestream on Tiktok!
TikTok video formula for beginners:
- Start with a 3–5 second hook
- Story or tips for 3–50 seconds
- Call-to-action to check out the link in bio to learn more
This just scratches the surface of everything you can do with the platform! Are you ready to create a winning TikTok marketing strategy? We know we are! Go make an account and while you’re at it… Follow us!
If you’re curious about how you can better utilize TikTok and other social media platforms for your business, click here to schedule a Complimentary 30-minute Consultation with the Real Marketing Solutions team!